What is the NC Pre-K program?
The NC Pre-K Program is designed to provide at-risk, four-year-old children with an opportunity for quality preschool education. This school day program is designed to provide young children with access to a structured curriculum and preschool experience that will enhance their readiness for school. The Chatham County Partnership for Children supports NC Pre-K classrooms throughout Chatham County in select public schools and in licensed child care centers.
Where does the NC Pre-K program take place?
Children may attend any one of the programs offered throughout the county by our NC Pre-K program partners:
- In northern Chatham County NC Pre-K classrooms are located in the preschool programs at North Chatham School and Perry Harrison School.
- In Siler City, NC Pre-K classrooms are located at Siler City Elementary School, Virginia Cross Elementary School, Children First Learning Center, Chatham Child Development Center, and Telamon Head Start.
- Robyn’s Nest Creative Learning Center has a NC Pre-K classroom in Pittsboro.
- There are also NC Pre-K classrooms at Moncure School, Bennett School, and Pittsboro Elementary.
Who is Eligible for Chatham’s NC Pre-K Program?
At-risk is the first priority for enrolling children. At-risk is defined as family income at or below 75% of the State Median Income.
Other eligible children can be enrolled after all at-risk children have been enrolled.
Eligible children are those with Limited English Proficiency, have a Chronic Health Condition, demonstrate development or educational need based on the results of an approved assessment tool, or who have a parent who is on active military duty or has been seriously injured while on active duty military in the recent past.
When does the program begin?
- The NC Pre-K Program operates on the public school calendar.
- Children will be enrolled on a first come, first served basis and according to space availability at each site.
How do I enroll children?
Applications for enrollment are accepted beginning in January each year. To enroll your child, or to find out more information, please contact:
- Chatham County Partnership for Children, Sheen Klaus: 919-542-7449, ext. 131
- Chatham County Schools, Cindy King: 919-663-3610
- Robyn’s Nest Creative Learning Center, Robyn Allgood: 919-542-9977
- Chatham Child Development Center: 919-663-2221, press 0
- Children First Learning Center, Jan Lowe or Tania Taylor: 919-742-5680
- Chatham County Head Start: 919-742-5316